Friday, January 25, 2008

Pride

Ha! Pride! What a block that continually makes me stumble! What a net hidden in the pathway of life!

I recently had a conversation with a friend about our first responses to The Passion of the Christ directed by Mel Gibson. Everyone was warning us about the amazing amount of brutality. When we saw it, we were affected, but not as much as others because we were expecting it to be much more brutal. I confess, somehow pride slithered it's way into my soul in that conversation. That was about a week ago.

Tonight, I came home from a Bible study where someone was talking about the sovereignty of God and all His great majesty. The Passion was playing on my television when I walked through the door. I watched it for about one minute. Then, I went to my room, and Christ flayed my soul open with the sounds of the movie. My pride had grown so huge! How could I feel larger than the fact that God came as a human and died one of the most horrible deaths for me? For a world that first turned it's face from His Holiness? And we chose lies of this earth!

I wept for my Savior.

Christ died for me. The God who made me and Saturn died for me. The God who never changes died for me. And He has conquered the death in my heart with His death and resurrection.

4 comments:

~Just*Flinn~ said...

A few years ago, I just had this moment where I realized how much we take Christ's death for granted. We sing songs about it, we read about it, we thank him unthinkingly for it. And when I stopped and thought about the awesome sacrifice He made, my heart was broken. I felt truly thankful.

Araken said...

Just a few days ago, I saw a movie called The Sobbing Stone. It was about the crucifixion from the perspective of Judas. You should look it up. Though it's not the best if you go by picture quality, the message is great and inspires you a whole lot.

saved monster said...

hmmm....I might try to find that.

IdinaTook said...

HELLO MONSTER!!!!!!!!!

I voted 1 on your thingy but really I still haven't read the Return of the King! :D